Flip flopping E-Turbo Project

I have looked into it.. There are two real SC kits i could buy for this car. One is a roots type and the other a rotex .. both dont bother with with a IC.. The higher the boost pressure the more you need a IC.. im talking here probably sub 6psi, which is less than the real SC kits. So i dont think it will do an awful lot... The other issue being is that there will be some drop across the IC and if thats say .5 psi then it takes a lot of electrical power to create that .5 psi and that increases charge time and reduces run time...

There are other draw backs too like it will all take more space and cost more to add one too... Also we need to remember that for 99% of the time the E-turbo will be off.

Ultimately i want something working i can always make it better later.

yeah i mean adding a second 48v alternator would be ideal if you can fit it in somewhere... For me trying to do that would be difficult and the simpler thing would be to upgrade the 12v one to start with....... At this point i just need to get something going and i can make these kind of plans after the fact.
I mean charging with a 48v/100ah alternator and then converting to a 12v battery for the rest of the car. This one,

8776f1bc-be0b-4168-8619-71def3ab4d28.jpg

Jos.

On the 11th hour i had to pull out of getting my blower machined up.. Due to fanatical issues..
I still would love to build one but it seems hard to believe that will ever actually happen.

To my utter surprise im back again... ( But not surprisingly with another flip flop lol)

To recap i was going to get my SC machined but that was goign to cost to much for something that i could not guaranty would work.. So had to give up on it

HOWEVER

I had some absolute amazing luck and timing and picked up a rebuilt seadoo Super changer for 140usd delivered ...
It was a mazing that i just happened to come across it on Trademe ( like ebay ) and that i managed to win the auction for so low.. i just can't believe my luck as i have never seen one for sale in New Zealand before.

The SC is from a seadoo which has about a 1600cc engine, which is the same as my car.. so it's perfect..
Being a real SC it will work and not explode. I was concerned it wouldn't fit in my engine bay but it will ( with battery relocations )
It should be fairly simple for me to make up a plate to mount the electric motor too....

Im so excited to be back cos i really wanted this to work (SC my car)

sc.jpg

1799611568.jpg
1799611592.jpg

1801138112.jpg

So i got this made by PCBway. it was a fraction of the price than getting it made locally but as i thought china would fail to make it correctly

One of the bearings doesn't fit and i broke it trying to remove it.. Also the counter clockwise thread on the shaft was made the normal way.. not that that mattered to much because the shaft was to big to fit the compressor wheel anyway .

20231023_161014s.png
20231023_161030s.png
20231023_161039s.png

20231023_161104s.png
20231023_161131s.png

20231023_160943s.png

Attachments

• 20231023_161039s.png
    20231023_161039s.png
    565 KB · Views: 3
After complaining to PCBWAY that basically all of it needs to go in the bin this is what they produced on their tolerances.

0.2mm What a complete Joke !

thumbnail_1.png

0.2mm is standard tolerances. I don't know how you send your drawing and tolerances to PCBWAY but **IF** you don't specify any tolerances, 0.2mm is verry standard. Even 0.4mm is standard. Only when specified that we go tighter. that is when a part start to be more expensive

how off is your part?

Sooo after a long discussion with them i paid to get it made again.. Unfortunately it's still a pile of junk that doesn't fit perfectly together.. So this was just a huge waste of money.

Last edited:
The design looks unnecessarily complicated. My charger has a 3d printed backplate and an extension shaft and so far has been fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_202910.jpg
    IMG_20230901_202910.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 6
There is something good or all the part are not?
Not really .. the first set of parts.. the bearing holes where to small the second time they are to big.
for the shaft the first was to big.. and the second to small.

To be honest im not surprised this exact reason was why i originally wanted to get someone local to make it because i could give them the compressor wheel and bearings and say.. make it fit.. China was cheaper in theory but not after getting them to make endless versions , whcih still dont work..

Just like you and Alex i have sunk Soo.. much money into this project and still without any results for me.

I'm going to have a bit of fun perusing an AXIAL compressor with off the shelf motor/housing/blades.. No the results wont be that great even in a beast case scenario but any results would make me happy at this point.

How much was it to make it?
Sure it is hard to make it perfect without the part. A diffence of 0.01mm can be too loose or too tight. That why I have to restart the shaft 10times. To reach those tolerances we usually use sand paper. Even with that 2sec too long could scrap the part. Verry hard to make precise part!
In fact, try your « biggest » shaft on a drill and sand paper to try to make it fit! I don’t know how off you are and if something salvageable

The trick is knowing what is a critical dimension and what isn't to ensure that your component functions satisfactorily. Hence you can machine it accordingly and choose the appropriate method and material. It is not only about absolute dimensions, it is flatness, parallelism, cylindricity , surface finish etc. This is especially true when you are making something that has a reasonable inertia that can rotate at speeds in excess of 100000rpm.

How much was it to make it?
Sure it is hard to make it perfect without the part. A diffence of 0.01mm can be too loose or too tight. That why I have to restart the shaft 10times. To reach those tolerances we usually use sand paper. Even with that 2sec too long could scrap the part. Verry hard to make precise part!
In fact, try your « biggest » shaft on a drill and sand paper to try to make it fit! I don’t know how off you are and if something salvageable
250$ twice :(