P2 build for a 3.0L Dodge Stratus R/T

Jbrock

I realize that when you read the title of this post, you probably wonder "Why on earth would you pick that car for an electric boost project?"
Well, it all started when I stumbled on a crazy FB marketplace deal
IMG_2827.png
IMG_2825.png

This car was like $600 on Facebook Marketplace. My goal is to experiment and see if a P2 Supercharger setup can safely run on a 3.0L flowing a N/A airflow of 20lbs/min.

I think you're spot on. Looking forward to your results. And as for the Stratus, well, why not? Besides, insurance is bound to be cheap.

I think you're spot on. Looking forward to your results. And as for the Stratus, well, why not? Besides, insurance is bound to be cheap.
Hey Alex!
Thanks first of all for the knowledge and investment that you guys have. I hope to contribute some real world P2 test results with controlled tests and some more real world numbers.
My brother designed the following parts in these images to have a *SKETCHY* test version.
Our plan is to eventually machine a final piece from Aluminum to mount under the hood.
IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

I never thought of. picking up a cheap car as a test bed, that's smart. I do wonder if you have tuning capability on that model? I know next to nothing about that model car, so if so sweet. if not, what did you have in mind?

I never thought of. picking up a cheap car as a test bed, that's smart. I do wonder if you have tuning capability on that model? I know next to nothing about that model car, so if so sweet. if not, what did you have in mind?
I have been looking at tuning it with a Reflash adapter. The Stratus 2 Door Coupes are actually different from the 4 door models, in that they are actually Mitsubishi Eclipse 3g's with different plastic. It has a 6G72 engine which is in some Eclipses and also the 3000gt (DOHC).
I can use a Tactrix Openport 2.0 device to access the ECU and reflash it and datalog with EvoScan or Mitsulogger.

ahh I had no idea they still had Mitsubishi partner. that's very cool and helpful. looking forward to your build.

I like that motor mount design a lot. It's quite elegant. Would you be willing to share the files with us?

I like that motor mount design a lot. It's quite elegant. Would you be willing to share the files with us?
We're still working on the design because this one hasn't run past 9k Motor RPM yet. We also had some problems with the pulley mounting because there isn't a lot of space there to assemble everything.

A problem with Flipsky aftermarket VESC's limited this test to a short duration due to a thermal problem with the Linear 5v Voltage Regulator. It seems to produce a ton of heat on the board when the DC Bus Voltage is towards the upper VESC limit (12s or 50v).

The 50a Motor Current limit was set in accordance with the rated Continuous Amp and Wattage limits, and it appears that OEM VESC's use a much more thermally efficient Switch BEC that doesn't produce hardly any heat when the 5v circuit isn't under load.

I am also researching a better, more permanent battery solution with more capacity and less Internal resistance (I really like AlexLTDLx's LTO cell idea).

365753436_226549253284187_1066055446426508466_n.jpg

Even though this VESC is REALLY Underrated for this Power, especially with the Regulator heating issue with Flipsky brand VESC's as mentioned in the last post... This was our fastest run yet on a Castle-P2 setup!

Even though the batteries were half dead (limiting max RPM), we went up 2 sizes on the Motor pulley to give more RPM headroom at the cost of slightly more power (Maybe 50 extra watts)

New Max Impeller RPM:

(56,000erpm / 2polepairs) * (16/18) = 24,888 Impeller RPM

This is roughly 1.25 - 1.3 Pressure Ratio which is great for a first Car test! Hoping to eventually push 1.5 - 1.6 PR with the P2 but this will work for now!