Now I've gone and done it...

AlexLTDLX

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working on trying to get this thing (i.e. Sledgehammer) to the track this weekend - but weather's not really cooperating. It looks like I might get rained out. But I get TONS of comments like, "I want one" "Where can I buy one," etc. This last comment I just replied to put me over the edge. I've just registered two domain names to start selling parts. We still have a lot of development to do, but the ball is now officially rolling. I'm thinking VESCs, MGM ESCs, compressors, battery packs, motors, etc. Since you all are on the front lines with me, what are your thoughts?

That's why I need to really figure which parts are most cost effective. And if I'm able to get this thing to the track this weekend, we'll have some more valuable data points. I also think that if people can assemble their kits one part at a time, it might be more palatable.

That's why I need to really figure which parts are most cost effective. And if I'm able to get this thing to the track this weekend, we'll have some more valuable data points. I also think that if people can assemble their kits one part at a time, it might be more palatable.
Of course! Macking the kit "open source" is, for me, interesting. But, some men like boobs an other like ass.. anyway it's not like it's difficult to assemble but, you dont need to spend 20k if you gave only the links where they can buy what they need. Contrôle box and charging board is really cool! This is the king of stuff to sell!

BTW, MGM told me they can make a custom programme for our project! So this is verry interesting for someone who don't know anything about ESC

For the machine part, you know It would be a pleasure for me to make it!

So macking different kind of kit can be interesting

Well, yeah - stuff along those lines. But also it's difficult to buy VESCs and MGM/LMT stuff in the US because of customs. But maybe there's value in developing matched compressor/motor setups. I still have a lot of research to do as far as that's concerned. I think our inducer/exducer combinations as well as other details, like inducer height, exducer fin height, etc will likely be different that conventional turbos or superchargers; at least in an "optimal" configuration.

Great Alex!

I think one of best and most important components you could sell is the control box/charge box you did. That is one of the most and best parts of your build in my opinion.

I would have to talk through with Making Stuff Awesome, since I'm currently using his code in the arduino. Another issue is that most ESCs like external power to the "trigger" (arduino, servo tester, receiver, etc); while VESCs prefer to power them themselves. I'll have to do more testing down the road to see if there's a way to make it work with either one (there should be).

BTW, how's your project going? I recently re-watched your e-turbo running videos. I don't have the guts to run mine for that long, lol.

I would have to talk through with Making Stuff Awesome, since I'm currently using his code in the arduino. Another issue is that most ESCs like external power to the "trigger" (arduino, servo tester, receiver, etc); while VESCs prefer to power them themselves. I'll have to do more testing down the road to see if there's a way to make it work with either one (there should be).

BTW, how's your project going? I recently re-watched your e-turbo running videos. I don't have the guts to run mine for that long, lol.
About to start back up working on the car in about a week or so. About to do smoke test think I have vacuum leak. Did. A lot intake work and a catch can and free air breather also .

Now she idles a little rough which before was super smooth. No check light l, which tells me there is a vacuum leak some where. Have to get that fix before I Do the blower.

Also the combo seem solid is have but it dumb, no logging and that the only down side I can see. I have ran it on the bench more than a few more times to see if can kill the ESC or motor they are still going strong.

I also ordered a small CNC that can do metal parts. A few days ago. Seeing your videos has me very inspired to get this done and 4-5 of boost would outstanding for my 3.6L V6.

Also this thinking about trying the batteries I told you about. Still think they may be a get option as they have built in balancing and management.

Sounds good - hope you find the leak. You should get at least 4-5 psi; maybe more. I'm impressed that you've torture tested yours for so long - I've never had the guts to do that. And I have thought about those batteries you're using. I've even tried calling the company - but no luck. I'll keep using the LTOs until I feel 100% confident nothing will blow up. Still not there yet, though - the dyno pulls were short; naturally aspirated, they were about 7.75 seconds long (from WOT); with the Sledgehammer, the longest pull was 5.5 seconds, with the Sledgehammer only running at full speed for 3.5 seconds. It'll need to hold up for at least three times as long at the dragstrip.

Speaking of which, we did get rained out, but I'm trying to make it to the track this Friday - weather's looking promising (in a heat wave right now, but it's supposed to break with t-storms on Thursday, and drop almost 20 degrees). I'm installing the trans temp gauge right now, and would also like to have the charging circuit working by then too. Plus, I've made a steel "cage" for the batteries so they don't go flying around. But if I went back to Lipos, the pack would be at least 30lbs lighter, if not 40.