Is TorqueAmp financially comparable to DIY?

ipepe

Hey. As first topic in TorqueAmp SubForum I wanted to touch topic of financial argument against/for TorqueAmp. Currently I can see it's cost is 2272 Euro or about 2700 USD on official website. Let's compare that with some DIY solutions but let's try to make it apples to apples comparision with whole kit cost compared. TorqueAmp kit provides:
  • A set of 4 cables
  • The lever switch
  • The Power Box (Lithium Polymer battery, 48v, 8ah)
  • Motor controller
  • And of course the TORQAMP compressor (5kW)
Sum: $2700
For comparision please provide "bill of materials" and their prices to compare with TorqueAmp (remember that even cable connectors at ranges of 100-200 amps can cost few $$)

Last edited:
This bill of materials is work in progress
PCE157.1002 P-2 Centrifugal Supercharger Polished Head Unit$625
16x Venom Fly 50C 3S 2200mAh 11.1V LiPo Battery with UNI 2.0 Plug (XT60/Deans/EC3) - Compare to E-flite EFLB22003S50
(Or maybe readily available 48v EBike battery + charger for cheaper?)
$800
TP Power Motor TP5870 + Water cooling jacket$350
Electric Motor controller?
Charging solution (Step-up 12V->48V / Battery charger)?
Cables and connectors?

Sum: $1775+????

Last edited:
The Torqamp will be cheaper. BUT - the setup you're talking about will support a lot more power - about 3 times as much. BTW, an E bike battery won't supply the kind of power we're talking about (not enough current capability). I emailed Jelke Hoekstra (the main guy behind Torqamp) at the beginning of the week and he's pretty jazzed about this forum. I still need to reply back to him (he replied on Wednesday - been a hectic week). I'll reply to him and let him know about your post and maybe he can fill you in where they're at and where they're headed.

I'm arround 1200$ US in my project and it's mostly done. You have to keep in mind that I have acces to CNC machine and all of it to save me A LOT of $$$ from machining. You need to talk to the right person and this forum is there to help you! I start this project before knowing about alex and I'm in the good way! make you research! For me the hardest knowledge part is the compressor part. What kind of power you want and wich compressor will be able to give you that power with the motor you choose. for the electronic part is tricky, but this part is fast learning I think if you have minimum electronic basics

I'd like to share my experience with Torqamp.
I wanted to import torqamp here as an official distributor and installer... they gave me a really not cool offer and i declined. i would have need to by 5 kits before i saw any profit at all from the kits and this put me off. that's over 12 grand!

and as JDM cars' ecus arent tunable like newer cars, i would still need an ECU or a piggy back system and it would just be cheaper to change my engine to the RB25.

I like the idea of low E-boost just because it's all i need driving the Touge.

I'd like to share my experience with Torqamp.
I wanted to import torqamp here as an official distributor and installer... they gave me a really not cool offer and i declined. i would have need to by 5 kits before i saw any profit at all from the kits and this put me off. that's over 12 grand!

and as JDM cars' ecus arent tunable like newer cars, i would still need an ECU or a piggy back system and it would just be cheaper to change my engine to the RB25.

I like the idea of low E-boost just because it's all i need driving the Touge.
keep an eye on this forum! we may have something for you in the futur. still need to figuring out !
@AlexLTDLX

I think the TorqAmp is an offer. And especially when I see what it costs to have a project like we set up (E-turbo SQ7), and especially the time we put into it. But making something yourself is fun too!

I think the TorqAmp is an offer. And especially when I see what it costs to have a project like we set up (E-turbo SQ7), and especially the time we put into it. But making something yourself is fun too!
Is more valuable for sure! I always try to make it first. If im not able, I will buy it 😂
But at the end, my set up is less expensive then torquamp 🤔 BUT you need to make it

The Torqamp will be cheaper. BUT - the setup you're talking about will support a lot more power - about 3 times as much. BTW, an E bike battery won't supply the kind of power we're talking about (not enough current capability). I emailed Jelke Hoekstra (the main guy behind Torqamp) at the beginning of the week and he's pretty jazzed about this forum. I still need to reply back to him (he replied on Wednesday - been a hectic week). I'll reply to him and let him know about your post and maybe he can fill you in where they're at and where they're headed.
I hope Torqamp will buy your trigger by EFI computer interface idea and intergrade it with their system.

Hi Alex et al. Just seen a lot of your YTs. I have an Evo 9 57lb turbo on a 2.0 litre engine. My torqamp is coming in the next month or so. Will be fitted next year due to finances. Hope to have peak torque of 500 ftlbs now at 3900 rpm at least 1000 rpm lower and great feel below 4000 rpm. Jamal, UK.

When you get it, can you start a thread on it? Preferably with videos? I think most of us here want to see a real-world experience with it.

since I'm a noob and don't know much about this stuff, I went to TorqAmp's site. I entered my engine information which is 6.0 liter engine with a max rpm of 7,000 and they suggested the dual compressor kit which looks to be about 3,000 US Dollars.

cleetus mcfarland tests a single electric turbo and then tests a twin electric turbo. this video is of the twin electric turbo.