Half 3d printed charger. (For now)

Rattus

So like everyone here I'm after finding a way to make more power without all the plumbing, oil lines and lag before boost. I have a k-series 1400cc capacity rover engine that so far I have managed to gain roughly 140bhp from 83bhp which I think is a stepping stone in the right direction. I came up with the theory of making a supercharger from a Chinese turbo before finding out it had already been done. And also being told it can't be done especially from experienced mechanics/ engineers older than Me. Anyways, just so you guys know I actually service compressors and water pumps for a living so the idea just made things fall into place a little better. I have no access to any of my workshops equipment after work since I'm always on the road so I came up with a half 3d printed theory so see if it would actually work.

1) What Turbo housing are you using.
2) What motor are you using (with KV rating)
3) What ESC are you using
4) What expected voltage and Current is your E-Turbo expecting to run
5) What E-Turbo Cells are you running and in what config
6) What is your cars REV limit (we already know it's a 1400cc)
7) What PSI are you hoping for at red line.

8)If you haven't engaged with an "engineer" how did you deal with shaft for the compressor.. did you use the stock turbo shaft and hack saw it down ?
9)It's obviously geared, by what means (eg 3d printer belts)
10) What gear ratio is it running... And which has the biggest gear the motor or the compressor.

Thanks

Jesus. Nowt like throwing me right to the deep end 😂😂. So I'm using a td04 Chinese copy, the motor is as 2200kv with a 5mm shaft, the voltage is running at 24volts (on its limit I must Say!). Eturbo cells? No. 2 12v acid batteries. I don't have a standard for red line, I just want it work first especially with all the hate I've had so far, at the end of the day its my project weather some one thinks I'm wasting my time or not.

I have a vice in my kitchen lol. So yes I put the turbine impellor off and sorces a small bearing to fit. The belts are not 3d printed they are gt2 belts and the size it 100mm looped belts. Seems to work really well considering the rpm

I see on the other post that you keep blowing ESC? In fact, we discuss A LOOOOT on ESC here.. how to wire them, do the chinese ESC worth it, which ESC the best for this an that.. well, we still have a lot to learn but I think we can all agree that the chinese ESC is clost to garbage.. If I take alex for example, he first get a ESC clost to his power but blow up. he then go with a bigger one and still blow up. For me, I get an ESC almost twice my power need and water cooling! I said to myself that heat was the issue. but it blow up anyway 😂 BUT there's a lot more problems behind the scenes! So, I suggest you to pay a little more your ESC! for me it was a game changer! It was WAAYYY powerfull then the chinese one even if it suppose to be "the same". there's 2 brand we test for now MGM controllers and APD. alex try the APD and I have the MGM. I think @MkngStffAwesome will still try with the same ESC I had and an other one on the forum (can't remember who) will try with an other flyer ESC supposed to be better then before. If you want to talk to the MGM team, go talk to Tomas palan@mgm-controllers.com
he was SUUUPER helpfull for me!

I ask these questions so that it can help others.( LIKE ME) to preproduce it or something similar if it works well. To do this we'd need to know the exact components (links to them) if it say.... mostly works but one aspect doesn't work so well we can then try a different approach. Also most people would have bigger engines so they could use this info and scale it appropriately.

I do think that the t-turbo community has self created this general belief and hate for e-turbos by producing products that are woefully underpowered while claiming impossible PSI for an engine size. Running the numbers would tell you that the expect results were never possible with their implementation. This is not to say that it's not possible at all. It is 150% doable via a E-Turbo.

Hey Rattus - I've been running around like crazy lately, so sorry if I missed it. Do you have vids of your setup? Nice work!

Tbh I'm not really clued up on esc's. I started off with a Chinese blue one that was supposed to be 120a and didn't take the voltage into consideration. When I first started this project I was only running 12v until I realised I needed more voltage and amps. Anyways I with through 3 of the cheap blue ones before buying a surpuss 150. Yes that suffered the same fait too. Now I'm waiting for a 200a to turn up so I can blow that one up too.

Hey Rattus - I've been running around like crazy lately, so sorry if I missed it. Do you have vids of your setup? Nice work!
No not yet Alex but I am considering making one. Never made a video before so I'm not too sure how it all works yet haha

Your phone is a good first camera option; I'd strongly consider the free version of DaVinci Resolve for editing - we use it professionally (the paid version; but the paid version only buys you more advanced features you don't need for most videos) for TV shows and movies. You can download it from Blackmagic Design's website.

In other words - I want to see your setup!

Yes I will do it as soon as I get it going again. I uploaded 2 small clips of it running but not at full capacity, both clips running 12v before I changed the voltage to 24v

Finally my esc turned up today, after testing it out I managed to get a short video catching my friend off guard and give him hamster cheeks. It's funny lol

Great job! The one thing that scares me is putting anything valuable in front of the discharge - like, say, a face. If the bearings or impeller fail, there's a pretty high probability that some aluminum shrapnel will shoot out of it at warp speed, much like a shotgun blast. But thanks for posting that - love it. Any idea when you might get it on your vehicle for tests?