Finally starting my project

Almost everything is ordered/here except the batteries.

I have most of the components to build the controller.

The car is a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata with an aluminum block Chevy 5.3l. Sloppy stage 2 cam, mild port on the 243 heads, .045 head gasket. Dorman 615-901 intake with 92mm TB.

The car was on an 85 shot of Nitrous, but filling the bottles is a pain.

I will be doing a dual motor setup on the P2 supercharger, which I will be running on 12s.
I have 2- 27 tooth pulleys, so I will try to gear it up 1.5:1. If I have to gear it down I will, but I will start here.PXL_20210425_172134913~3.jpg20220718_142738.jpg

Last edited:
Almost everything is ordered/here except the batteries.

I have most of the components to build the controller.

The car is a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata with an aluminum block Chevy 5.3l. Sloppy stage 2 cam, mild port on the 243 heads, .045 head gasket. Dorman 615-901 intake with 92mm TB.

The car was on an 85 shot of Nitrous, but filling the bottles is a pain.

I will be doing a dual motor setup on the P2 supercharger, which I will be running on 12s.
I have 2- 27 tooth pulleys, so I will try to gear it up 1.5:1. If I have to gear it down I will, but I will start here.
Wow, sounds like it will be quite a system.

For some reason, I can’t see the pics. Can you try the upload picture feature instead of a google link?

Do you have any idea on your current torque or horsepower and any design target on gains?

There is nothing like the feeling of parts on the way! You are committed. Welcome to the electrified boost journey.

Last edited:
Wow, that is some serious fabrication. Is that 1/2” aluminum? My TIG torch would probably melt down trying to weld that.

And where does this sit? It is hard to imagine how you got the LS engine in a Miata. Are you placing the electronic super charger it in the trunk?
Yes, it's 1/2" I don't have any fancy tools so I have to hack it together.

It will be going in the trunk. I am unsure how I will get the piping to the engine but I have an idea. I just need to buy some oval tubing.

I still need batteries as well. I think I will only need to run this at 6-8s and have the ability to run it up to 12s. It is geared up to 1.5:1. I guestimated this gearing would be ok with 2 motors, and them happy. However I will buy some pulleys to gear it to 1.2:1 if they are unhappy.
Given one 2028 was able to achieve 24k impeller rpm with the P2 @ 12s with the 2 motors I only need to achieve 24k motor rpm to achieve 36k impeller rpm. With that said, if I can keep the duty cycle in spec this thing will be a beast!

I had a procharger kit years ago, and most of the rubber couplers they used cross referenced to semi truck radiator hose cut up.

if it helps, radiator hose can easily handle 20psi and is pretty cheap compared to trying to weld up a bunch of alum pipe.

Decided to pick up these guys for just over 500 bucks. I just needed something to get it running until I can build something that can deliver more Ah. This will get me running on 6s with back up batteries for testing. and 12s when I do full power tests.

I a have high expectations for this set up. With 2 motors @ 12s geared up to 1.5:1 I believe I can achieve 35K+ impeller RPM on the P2. (Given 30% inefficiency) I am concerned about the belt at this point, but with the limitations of the batteries I don't think it will be bad for short spurts. Which I am fine with as I am basically building this as an E-Nitrous system.

I used Zeee batteries for my initial tests (including my first drag test). After much testing, they're not great batteries. They should work, but keep an eye on voltage drop. Here's a load test I did that included my best Zeee batteries:

I ended up canceling the order. I need something that's rated for like 15 amp hours or better
I am at such a loss. I don't know what to do

I used Zeee batteries for my initial tests (including my first drag test). After much testing, they're not great batteries. They should work, but keep an eye on voltage drop. Here's a load test I did that included my best Zeee batteries:

I am seriously considering building an LTO pack like yours...where did you obtain those Lishen LTO cells from?
I found some on Alibaba but I know how batteries can often be cloned and reproduced. Just wanted to make sure everything I buy is Genuine

Well I figured out how to data log... I installed a restriction plate with a 3/4" hole, and did a 100% run on 6s... This thing screams! I achieved 17,000 rpm @ about 90 amps. This puts the impeller rpm at 25,500. Voltage drop was around 2v

At this rate I won't need to run it on 12s, but I have the batteries. I think I can hit 30k motor rpm. But I don't think the belt will hold up. I will have to buy an actual timing belt. This one is fairly thin. Anyway, At 30k motor I would be at 45k impeller rpm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813-174156.png
    Screenshot_20230813-174156.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 5
I stand corrected...Until I get a better battery bank I will not be able to achieve 30k motor RPM. I got brave and did a run on 12s. voltage drop was around 5v. I was at 84% throttle and achieved over 35k impeller rpm on the P2. @ 69% throttle I was at 30k rpm. The motors were only slightly warm, the ESC and batteries were cool and the belt/cogs were only slightly warm to the touch.

I will have to bolt this thing down to do a 100% throttle run on 12s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813-200620.png
    Screenshot_20230813-200620.png
    273.8 KB · Views: 8
I am seriously considering building an LTO pack like yours...where did you obtain those Lishen LTO cells from?
I found some on Alibaba but I know how batteries can often be cloned and reproduced. Just wanted to make sure everything I buy is Genuine
Sorry for the delayed response - had an eventful two weeks driving down to Texas and dealing with things. Three flat tires and I now apparently own a dog. But to answer your question, from Battery Hookup.