electric supercharger on my LQ4 6.0 liter in my 1982 Chevy S-10

MarshMellow

I bought this 1982 Chevy S10 about 18 months ago for the purpose of using as a "street/strip" truck. it has a 6.0 liter LQ4 and a TH350 with a chevy 8.5" rear end in 3.73 and a limited slip differential. it's the fastest thing i've ever owned. I ran it at the drag strip last summer multiple times with the fastest run being an 8.91 in the 1/8th mile. the elevation at Hypoxia is about 7,000 feet. I bought an Eaton M90 generation 5 about 3 months ago and plan on installing it at some point this year. it's an older roots style blower that was put on 3.8 liter engines in the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. According to some charts I found online, it takes 10 hp at low boost and 40 hp at high boost. I plan on installing it and using a belt to drive it initially. If I can figure out a good electric motor/controller/battery conversion than I'd like to do that.

I do not know anything about RC cars. I've been trying to read to learn but most of it is going over my head. I feel like other types of motors will be easier for me to learn about. My goal is to learn enough about electric motors, batteries and controllers to buy and build an electric supercharger on my S10. I don't plan on keeping the M90 on forever.

do you guys think this E-bike conversion kit would spin a supercharger enough for it to make power?

why not use an electric motor to spin a supercharger or two, which in turn spins an appropriately sized turbo and then send that air to the engine?

do you guys think this E-bike conversion kit would spin a supercharger enough for it to make power?

This motor controller combo is only rated for 5kw continuous. You would need several of them and probably some serious gearing to make the SC spin at the correct rpm

This would be way less efficient and I'm not sure there would be any benefit.
a roots blower only needs to spin to 20,000 rpm and has a moderately flat boost curve. it seems to me that a fixed amount of airflow to spin a more efficient turbo would be beneficial.

1711318858585.png

first, a little explanation:

since there weren't 14 available colors in the MSPaint pallette, i just used the same one over and over...

so, each black line i added and where the maroon colors top out at? that's each PSI. goes up to 14 with the engine by itself in the light red on the bottom.

the most efficient line SEEMS to be roughly 7 PSI., once you hit significant boost, the adibiatic efficiency never drops below 60%, which is pretty decent for a roots blower.

also, the dots? they end at 5K RPM, since beyond 5K didn't generate any additional airflow. now, blower speed at 5K at 7PSI is ~8600RPM. with a crank pulley diameter of 6.6 inches, the ideal blower pulley size would be 3.84". that will give the blower a 72% overdrive, so when the engine hits 5000 RPM, the blower will be at 8600.

that is the flow chart for the supercharger that I am in the process of installing on my 6.0 LQ4. If I can spin it with the electric motor then it will be better than if the engine spins it. someone said it used like 37hp to spin that blower at 20,000 rpms. so I don't know if it will work.