Duryea 12v Electric Supercharger

akhan

Hello,
I have a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6lt 117hp car (naturally aspirated)
An extra 20-30 horsepower wouldn't be bad
I've been researching electric supercharger-turbo systems lately.
Has anyone seen this?
looks pretty interesting.
Can someone tell me where I should start?
Thank you

That looks nice! Where you should stard? Even if this super charger works, it can work for you but maybe not for me! You need to know the efficiency of the unit. Can this supercharger achieved your goal? Theres a supercharger map on the bottom of the page, you can calculate if this is in your power range. Now where can you buy it? Do the controller come with it? Do you need an external battery?

That looks nice! Where you should stard? Even if this super charger works, it can work for you but maybe not for me! You need to know the efficiency of the unit. Can this supercharger achieved your goal? Theres a supercharger map on the bottom of the page, you can calculate if this is in your power range. Now where can you buy it? Do the controller come with it? Do you need an external battery?
I sent a message about how to buy, but there was no response.
There is some information in the FAQ section.

That looks to be a small roots unit like the AMR500. It's highly inefficient and very limited in terms of hp output - just over 100hp max. I find it odd that they claim 600 amps at 12 volts and it can run off a car's existing electrical system, but there's no way that would happen. They're getting the 9.6 hp rating by simply multiplying 12 volts by 600 amps and dividing by 746 (watts per hp). If you tried to draw 600 amps from any ICE car's electrical system, you'd either fry things fast or the voltage would quickly plummet to 5-6 volts. It's even more comical they claim it can be used on commercial trucks. Another problem with that design is it needs either a bypass valve for when it's not running, running all the time or the draw-through losses will be astronomical. Before I got into the electric supercharging stuff I did a lot of positive displacement supercharging setups.

Here a VERY old video of why you can't draw through that blower with it spinning like you can a centrifugal unit:

I wasn't half-bad looking when I was young, lol. I still have that same shop vac too.