Can electric boost be used on a EFI 750cc motorcycle engine

CarlSchulz

I have a Land Speed car, 1973 Fiat 850 Spider, with a 1998 Suzuki GSX-R fuel injected 750 power plant. I am wondering if forum member have opinions as to whether or not an electric supercharger could be designed to fit this application. I will be starting from square one on this project and would appreciate any of your thoughts on its viability before I start this long journey.

Yeah, actually I think it would be pretty easy. Do you run at Bonneville or somewhere else? What is you current hp level and how much do you want to make boosted?

Yeah, actually I think it would be pretty easy. Do you run at Bonneville or somewhere else? What is you current hp level and how much do you want to make boosted?
Sorry for the delay, I've been on the road. I will run the short course at Bonneville, 3 miles, timed,. Current hp is approx 130, I am looking for hp gain but not to the point it craters the motor, I don't know what that would be. The car is currently running in a class with a record of 127mph. There is no standing record for the blown class of this motor size. I've been rained out the past two years so the car has never been timed. If possible I would like to run both classes, blown and NA. Thanks Alex, I like your youtube vids.

My setup starting to get really small since the first day! I think it would be better to try something like mine vs the massive p2! I don’t know anything about motorcycles engines but I can help you with the rest of it

Thanks, like I said earlier, I am totally new to this whole thing. What I really need is an over view of what makes up an eboost system, especially the electronics. I must admit that I don't even know what the abbreviations mean in everybody's posts, Any suggestions as to where I can look, thanks again for your help

Super easy to understand! The basics you need a radio controlled car motor and ESC (electronic speed controller). You need batteries and something to activate the system.
Now for the motor, they advertise motor with « kv ». For example 1000kv is 1000rpm/v. so if you chose to go with 30v with your system, with **no lost** you will get 30’000rpm. But count for 70% of that number if your setup is good. We usually look into TP or castlecreation motor. TP motor in the 40** series and more. for the castle, if you go direct drive, the 1721 2400kv should be your best bet..
Battery they are different type of, lipo, lifepo4, lto, they all have there pros and cons. In you case maybe lipo would be better for space. But they are in fact way dangerous.
Controller, don’t waste your money on cheap chinese flier ESC. MGM controller work great, when it work🥴 but they are expensive. Hobbywing max4 is less expensive and should be good enough!
Turbo, chose un trim that fit your goal, that should be the hardest to find.. maybe a garret gt30 could be good

Super easy to understand! The basics you need a radio controlled car motor and ESC (electronic speed controller). You need batteries and something to activate the system.
Now for the motor, they advertise motor with « kv ». For example 1000kv is 1000rpm/v. so if you chose to go with 30v with your system, with **no lost** you will get 30’000rpm. But count for 70% of that number if your setup is good. We usually look into TP or castlecreation motor. TP motor in the 40** series and more. for the castle, if you go direct drive, the 1721 2400kv should be your best bet..
Battery they are different type of, lipo, lifepo4, lto, they all have there pros and cons. In you case maybe lipo would be better for space. But they are in fact way dangerous.
Controller, don’t waste your money on cheap chinese flier ESC. MGM controller work great, when it work🥴 but they are expensive. Hobbywing max4 is less expensive and should be good enough!
Turbo, chose un trim that fit your goal, that should be the hardest to find.. maybe a garret gt30 could be good
Thanks, that explains a lot

Here is a little more info on the 750cc motor in my land speed car. 46 mm throtle bodies, hp 128-134, depending on which spec source you read, 10,800 rpm at peak of power band, flow rate of injectors 200 to 240 cc per minute, and the kicker - compression ratio 12:1
I am wondering if the high compression ratio will take 6 or 7 pounds of boost without blowing up? Any thoughts?

Here is a little more info on the 750cc motor in my land speed car. 46 mm throtle bodies, hp 128-134, depending on which spec source you read, 10,800 rpm at peak of power band, flow rate of injectors 200 to 240 cc per minute, and the kicker - compression ratio 12:1
I am wondering if the high compression ratio will take 6 or 7 pounds of boost without blowing up? Any thoughts?
Of course it will be OK as long as you map the ignition correctly and it does not knock excessively. Ensure that the fuelling is correct (obviously)

If you do meth injection you'll most likely be ok. The meth would give you a big octane boost. But I would sneak up on the boost and I'd read the plugs. Again, though, you'll probably be fine. I certainly wouldn't try this at 12:1 without either some form of octane boost (fuel, additive or methanol injection) or a really huge cam with a lot of overlap to reduce dynamic compression (which wouldn't be optimal with boost).

I've looking at Garrett 12XX series turbos as a starting point. Their web site says the suggested engine size for these turbos is 400 to 1200cc, They are estimated to make up to 130hp. Any thoughts? I am groping in the dark

I've looking at Garrett 12XX series turbos as a starting point. Their web site says the suggested engine size for these turbos is 400 to 1200cc, They are estimated to make up to 130hp. Any thoughts? I am groping in the dark
Like I said previously, you are limited by the motor rpm. I have a GT35 trim, based of garret they are good for 500hp but in the end, I only get 250hp out of it because of my motor rpm! Check the compressor map of your garret 12xx and check how much rpm they need to spool.. probably 100’*** rpm+. But there’s no way you will be able to get that much of rpm ! Based on the data of an other member of the group, If I remember correctly, he was able to achieve little bit more than 60k rpm! Check the gt30 compressor map if it could be suitable for your set up!

One more question from the ignorant. The class my car runs in is gas only. Blower/turbos are allowed but must run on gasoline. Can an electric turbo set up be configured for a motor with 12:1 compression running gasoline?

You need to provide extra fuel for the denser air when it is boosted and also be able to retard the ignition for the same reason. I would doubt that the standard maps for the engine would be safe for a decent level of boost so you would most likely need a reprogrammable ECU

Thanks, do you think a Power Commander V would work to add fuel and retard timing? It provides an interface between ECU and engine.