Audi SQ7 4.0 TDI - electric supercharger.

If you could (and understand it), that would be great. My German is limited to my dad's few phrases from him growing up in a German DP camp in Mittenwald.

If you could (and understand it), that would be great. My German is limited to my dad's few phrases from him growing up in a German DP camp in Mittenwald.

The name of the braniac behind it is
Denny Ziegner (the blond guy in the Portland Sweater).
He has been developing his own ECU since 2006 to make a DSG transmission feasible behind a VW 2.0 Turbo ...
In this VW Corrado project he is using a KMS MD35 ECU

, which is highly configurable/programmable ... and he has managed to control the SQ7 E-Turbo in regards to on/off/max boost via PWM tables (? for me PWM is Pulse Width Modulatio...) in the KMS ECU ...

He got asked by the BETH tuner guy if he knows anyone who has integrated/controlled the SQ7 eTurbo in any other project. Denny's response was "No, but I got some inquiries on my Instagram profile from overseas and I am involved in some interesting projects ... as time and fun allow"

So: Either somebody tries to find the right Instagram profile ... or contact Denny Ziegner directly in the comment section to this (and the other dyno) video!

Time to tell Denny AND Hagen (the BETH tuner guy) about this forum!

(From the comment sections : they have seen 120A peak @52V (~6.2 kW) ... )

Thanks. There's no way I would've figured that much out on my own. I did leave a comment (in English) telling them about our forum, but I fully expect growth to be fairly slow at first. But in a year or two I think we'll start seeing some real improvement. In the meantime, I'm just grateful to all of you who have joined. There's already been a lot of great info traded here (your post is a perfect example).

It is interesting that they did see a 6.2 kW peak. The small units will spool up faster; I'd like to do a durability test of my hex drive setup and in order to do that, I really should full automate the thing - towards that end, the only thing left really is the power-on sequence. All the stuff for that is here already.

I wonder what other cars are coming down the pipeline with electric superchargers? Or electric turbos, or e turbos or whatever you want to call them... we really need to standardize a name and e turbo is shortest to type...

The name of the braniac behind it is
Denny Ziegner (the blond guy in the Portland Sweater).
He has been developing his own ECU since 2006 to make a DSG transmission feasible behind a VW 2.0 Turbo ...
In this VW Corrado project he is using a KMS MD35 ECU

, which is highly configurable/programmable ... and he has managed to control the SQ7 E-Turbo in regards to on/off/max boost via PWM tables (? for me PWM is Pulse Width Modulatio...) in the KMS ECU ...

He got asked by the BETH tuner guy if he knows anyone who has integrated/controlled the SQ7 eTurbo in any other project. Denny's response was "No, but I got some inquiries on my Instagram profile from overseas and I am involved in some interesting projects ... as time and fun allow"

So: Either somebody tries to find the right Instagram profile ... or contact Denny Ziegner directly in the comment section to this (and the other dyno) video!

Time to tell Denny AND Hagen (the BETH tuner guy) about this forum.
(From the comment sections : they have seen 120A peak @52V (~6.2 kW) ... )

Thanks. There's no way I would've figured that much out on my own. I did leave a comment (in English) telling them about our forum, but I fully expect growth to be fairly slow at first. But in a year or two I think we'll start seeing some real improvement. In the meantime, I'm just grateful to all of you who have joined. There's already been a lot of great info traded here (your post is a perfect example).

It is interesting that they did see a 6.2 kW peak. The small units will spool up faster; I'd like to do a durability test of my hex drive setup and in order to do that, I really should full automate the thing - towards that end, the only thing left really is the power-on sequence. All the stuff for that is here already.

I wonder what other cars are coming down the pipeline with electric superchargers? Or electric turbos, or e turbos or whatever you want to call them... we really need to standardize a name and e turbo is shortest to type...

In the comment section they were talking at least about 2 other vehicles, one Audi S3 with 3.2 V6 which are being successfully boosted with the Audi SQ7 eBooster...

More Info regarding the "hack":
It took him 12 months to figure things out!
Denny was able to get the eBooster running after approx. the first month BUT it took him 11 more months to get the original 48V Audi Battery module with included original Audi Control Board to run!
He has the oririginal eBooster Battery/Control Module (the black box) in the trunk plus original Audi DCDC up converter (12->48V) for continuous loading (the silver aluminium computer) plus his normal 12V car battery in the trunk!
The Black Box Battery Module with Controller delivers not only the juice to the eBooster, but talks as well on the CAN bus to the eBooster built in controller.

To crack the code and properly control the whole thing with the KMS MD35 he used a real life functioning Audi SQ7 where he did some CAN bus sniffing!
(Thats why it took so long!)
Somehow I knew the attack route 😝

NOW I am very interested in that Black 48V Battery/Controller Box Plus the DCDC upconverter!!! 😛🤪😛🤨😛

and ... yes eTurbo is the shortest. But I actually like eBooster more (since we are dealing with lower SC impeller RPMs in our DIYs). 😉

Last edited:
Interesting; and yeah, to figure out the CAN bus data stream having access to said stream with an actual car definitely makes it easier (or dare I say possible? because I'm not sure how you'd figure it out otherwise).

I realized in my previous post, I started a thought and never finished it - I tend to do that a lot. My friends even have a term for it - the "Alex desert" - because I'll start talking about something then switch topics without finishing my first thought confusing people. I'm working on that. Anyway, I mentioned I'd like to "durability" test my setup - mostly the hex drive portion, is what I meant. In the video, when they were driving around, he'd get on the throttle and off the throttle repeatedly. I've never tried that with mine; but it's a little difficult to do because of the power level - it'll just fry the tires at 80 mph if I try that. But at some point, I will need to just to make sure things will hold up. I really need to move to some place where testing like that is possible. Around here, I'd have to drive for an hour and a half just to find a semi-empty street. It's really getting ridiculous.

I agree with MkngStffAwesome - I would've DIY'd the thing and used my own pack; but it is slicker that he's got it figured out the way he has. I wonder what kind of "crutches" he needed to get it to work and interface with the car. It's certainly a very clean looking install.

That's good info. I think since this is the first OEM unit easily available, the CAN data will either be deciphered or a relatively easy work around will be developed. At least I hope so...

I have this eTurbo and currently trying to spoof the canbus messages but have still not got it fully working, if anyone wants to join in please your welcome. Knowledge about audi canbus system is appreciated.
Been able send some ids to make it get out of what seems to be «standby/sleep mode»
Any one happen to know the canbus id for RPM on the SQ7? I think it is 0x0A8 but I cant get the decoding to add up in all circumstances.

Last edited:
That may end up being a heavy lift - you sound like you're miles ahead of where I would be with it. Can you share more of what you've discovered? Maybe some of the software folks on here can offer suggestions.

Its really hard when there is so many variables unknown, and the fact is I dont even know if the unit I got of ebay is working to begin with, as there has been reports of failures of units.
My revision is 057145601D but there is a newer 057145601F available.
Ive been in contact with 2 of the people who has been able to activate this eTurbo which is impressive work,.
Unfortunately none of them want to share all the details to make it run, but I do respect that as it took them months to do so and a lot of hard work.
But many years has passed now since these units came in 2015 and we still have nothing available to the community to control this eTurbo which is a shame, at least a DIY open source solution with some arduino and canbus transeiver would be awesome to have and could be made for very cheap.
In my country the SQ7 is very rare so havnt been able to log one directly as that would speed up the prosses.
I think maybe should create my own thread to not hijack this one for more details if its interesting.

Its really hard when there is so many variables unknown, and the fact is I dont even know if the unit I got of ebay is working to begin with, as there has been reports of failures of units.
My revision is 057145601D but there is a newer 057145601F available.
Ive been in contact with 2 of the people who has been able to activate this eTurbo which is impressive work,.
Unfortunately none of them want to share all the details to make it run, but I do respect that as it took them months to do so and a lot of hard work.
But many years has passed now since these units came in 2015 and we still have nothing available to the community to control this eTurbo which is a shame, at least a DIY open source solution with some arduino and canbus transeiver would be awesome to have and could be made for very cheap.
In my country the SQ7 is very rare so havnt been able to log one directly as that would speed up the prosses.
I think maybe should create my own thread to not hijack this one for more details if its interesting.
Any progress since?