Slicks or drag radials?

AlexLTDLX

Administrator
Staff member
I know we probably don't have a lot of drag racers on here, but I'm getting the car ready for dyno and drag tests, and of course in my last drag test (over a year ago now - where does the time go?) I destroyed my slicks getting the opening burnout shot. They were old and needed to go anyway.

That said, I'm tire-size limited on this car and was entertaining the notion of different drag tires rather than the 26x8.5x15 Hoosier Outlaw slicks I've been running. I do like them, and given the weight of the car and size limits, they work pretty well, but there are two main issues: the sidewalls get wasted pretty fast because of the weight of the car and the fact that I drive to the track on them, and they usually hook on the hit, but then unload at the top of low gear causing spin. You can hear it (and see it in the datalogs) on the first drag test video I've now posted about 10 times on here. But here's a link right to the pass where you can see/hear it:

I've checked around and Mickey Thompson doesn't really have anything better worth trying; Hoosier however, does. And I like my Hoosier distributor a lot. They recommend their Drag Bracket radial. Basically in the same size as the slicks I've been running, but radial construction so the sidewalls will no longer be an issue:

I'd love any input you guys may have. I've always been a bit skittish about drag radials (needing a prepped track and all that), but tire technology has moved on a bit in recent years.

I remember you once said that you were on a fox body forum. Do the forum still alive?
I think you are the guy who have the most experience in drag racing

Yeah, I'm still a member there - since 1999 (!) But honestly, most of those guys aren't quite at this level. I'd ask on yellowbullet.com - where I'm also a member, but there are a lot of people there talk a big game, but really don''t know what they're talking about; which is one of the reasons the Mickey Thompson rep stopped posting there. I figured I'd ask here if anyone has any thoughts, since most people here seem to be more thoughtful, and honestly a bit more intelligent. Though I do realize that there aren't a lot of drag racers on here yet.

If you think cutting my finger to get money to buy big ESC is intelligent, thanks HAHAHAH
The active members come and go I think. Even the "drag racer" here is not at you level. I would like to help but is out of my knowledge

What tires were you running in the last video?

For as close to an apples to apples comparison I would get a set of slicks that match.

Each person has their own uses for their cars. I use mine as a fun "daily" street car,
So I will be running a dot radial. I need tread.
With as light as the miata is, it is super scary on bald 225's let alone 245's or 275's

Also keeping with the apples to apples. Your trying to compare this to your Whipple set up. If money permits I would use something comparable. Which is likely the MT's

Sorry for the delayed reply - I used to use 26x8.5x15 Hoosier Outlaw slicks (stiffer sidewall and a 9" tread width). They are a bit hard to find - the Hoosier distributor only had 1 pair last week; not sure if they still do. However, I did talk to them (the guy I've gotten all my drag racing tires from for the last 10-15 years), and he suggested their Pro Bracket Radial Slick - it's 26x8.5x15 (basically, the same size as the outlaw slicks I used to use - but with an actual 8.5" tread width); but with the added advantage of better compound and even stiffer sidewalls (though in this case, "stiffer sidewalls" still means very soft compared to street tires); he says they should hold up better under my relatively heavy car.

I'm probably going to go with them. I'm usually more concerned with gains over naturally aspirated running; not so much against the Whipple. I do think we'll eventually go quicker than the Whipple did anyway with the Sledgehammer.