off-the-shelf electric supercharger

R2D2

Hi Everyone, Слава Україні

Greeting from Jacksonville Florida.

I am new to this, and doing a homemade race project.

I am interested in buying an off-the-shelf electric supercharger with at least 5-10Kw electric power.

Does anyone have info about commercially available products?

Thanks

Doron

https://torqamp.com/ looks pretty interesting and you can buy one today. They've solved various problems such as the battery and how to charge it.
I don't think it's as powerful as some of the units people on this forum have made for themselves but if you've got more money than time it would be a good place to start. I'm looking at it for my 4 litre straight six Jaguar but I'm concerned if it has enough capacity.

Cleetus McFarlan on YouTube put one or two on a 2 litre GM FWD car with great results;

That was 4 years ago and there has not been any more torqamp videos. Time someone put on on their car and made a video.

I think you need to calculate how much power you need to supply the boost you require for your 4litre engine. You will be surprised (or maybe not) It will be massively more than that TorqAmp can supply

Last edited:
The Torqamp calculator seems to think it will be OK;
Part of the calculation is the max RPM which for my car is 5500. They suggested a bypass component.
I see from their customer feedback that the larger engines gain 30BPH and the 1.4 Panda gained 50BHP which is massive for a 100HP car. The torque figures where shown vary much more and show a massive increase in some cases.

What I'm looking for is more torque at mid rev range because the engine is a bit flat until 3500RPM. The way the automatic is geared it takes a while before you get to those revs then the car really takes off. I want it to take off a lot sooner.

It might be fine or I might need two of them like on a Mustang a customer has.

I guess if you are only after a small gain at lower speed and you bypass the supercharger at the higher speeds it will be OK. Probably two of them in parallel would be better though. I use a very very rough calculation of 1.5kW per L displacement per 1000rpm for 0.5bar boost

Last edited:
This is a very quick estimate of what you may get with a single TorqueAmp on a 4L engine with no bypass. As you can see it is not too bad but I think the loss would likely be more than predicted without a bypass valve

1703946469691.png

Thanks for that @matnrach,

That torque gain at the lower revs is quite significant. A gain in torque starting at low revs is what I'm after. The Jag is pretty nice at low revs due to decent torque so more would better.

If it was a manual Jag then I'd be using the gears to get the engine into the power rev range and therefore your graph shows this S/C would be a waste of money. On the automatic where it tends to keep the revs low it would actually make a difference.

Obviously it would need two Torqamps to do the job properly.