I'm building a conversion.

Dan Chadwick

I'm looking at turbo chargers from a different perspective. I have this idea in my head that tells me that refrigeration principals will extract usable energy from a tank of refrigerant, enough to power an internal combustion engine. My target is 12,000 btu/minute. <Minds popping at this ludicrous number>
I have reason to believe this is workable; the energy is not being used and discarded. The idea is to create a deficit on one side and a surplus on the other. The cooling jacket will be the heated portion and the fuel injection will inject liquid refrigerant. The piston at TDC will then heat this and the expansion will push the piston for a normal rotation. Double lobing the camshaft will make a four stroke into a two stroke, doubling the number of power strokes. Will this double the power? No, but it will be increased. The 12,000 btu will be the net of the spread in the temperature transfer to the liquid refrigerant. I joined this forum to investigate the compressor; I believe the centrifugal compressor would be the best fit, and the electric specifically for control and cold starting. Water at strong vacuum will evaporate at 70°F. Running this through a vortex tube will create a stream of hot vapor above 250°F, and a cold stream of about 70°F, liquid water to be returned to the radiator to collect heat, and await injection into the cylinders. The hot and cold streams exhaust return to the radiator, through systems that return the average temperature to about 70°F. The engine will radiate, loosing a lot of heat, and the radiator will collect it, but most of the heat will transfer to the cylinders for transfer to the liquid water.