Can E- Turbo reduce oil consumption ?

jasonlaw0623

Hi Alex and All .How are you ? I Jason from Hong Kong . Thank you for you videos, that's inspired me a lot .

In HK the Fastest highway speed is 110 km/h and every where is speed camera 😂. So many red light. Stop and go all the time ( Major problem for the oil consumption) . And most expensive petrol in the world at around $2.96 per litre. ---- 2.96 USD x 3.785 litre = 11.2 USD/Gallon 😆😆. So thats why High speed or Max power are not good for me 😂
***But***
Electric turbo can reduce oil consumption you said in your videos . I m very happy about it .. 🎉🎉. I would like to do a testing on my 2008 Subaru Legacy wagon GT .. 2000cc with VF38 turbo ( original) .

For my Plan
1. Castle 2028 Motor
2. Hobby Wing ESC with sensor
3. Turbo - TD03 or TD04 or any advise
4. Battery - LFP

My application
1. Save fuel 😆 but sometime few seconds Max power

From my understanding Turbo car can add another electric turbo with additional bypass valve.
But may I know what is the best set up for my application. Such as turn on electric turbo when 5 - 50km/h . Turn off after 50 km/h? With Manuel control too ?

Ok, my first use for the electric turbo was as a crankcase evacuation pump - not as forced induction. At that time, my car had a Whipple supercharger on it and using the electric turbo to generate a vacuum in the crankcase would've been beneficial. But now that I've replaced the Whipple with an electric supercharger, I'm making the same power but with much less boost; and the blow-by is almost non existant.

And to answer your gas mileage question, no, it won't improve your gas mileage. If a car was designed with electric boost in mind to start with, then yes, it would improve gas mileage. But unfortunately it'll just make your car have more power, which means more fuel will be burned. Plus, it'll be difficult to stay out of boost - it's too much fun :)

Ok, my first use for the electric turbo was as a crankcase evacuation pump - not as forced induction. At that time, my car had a Whipple supercharger on it and using the electric turbo to generate a vacuum in the crankcase would've been beneficial. But now that I've replaced the Whipple with an electric supercharger, I'm making the same power but with much less boost; and the blow-by is almost non existant.

And to answer your gas mileage question, no, it won't improve your gas mileage. If a car was designed with electric boost in mind to start with, then yes, it would improve gas mileage. But unfortunately it'll just make your car have more power, which means more fuel will be burned. Plus, it'll be difficult to stay out of boost - it's too much fun :)
Thank you Alex .. then I go for the Fun way. Hahahaha😆😆😆

A turbocharger uses the engine oil feed to lubricate and cool the very hot turbine bearings. This obviously stresses the oil and shortens it's life. An electric supercharger is not stressing the oil like that so it should save oil.

Your second point about fuel consumption Alex does answer. The way car makers use turbos to save fuel is that they fit much smaller engines which is what saves the fuel. The turbo is just to compensate for the smaller engine. Most of the time you're not on turbo boost so the smaller engine saves fuel. As soon as you're boosting you're no longer saving fuel.

I'm interested in a technology called HHO which is an electrolysis chamber that feeds some hydrogen and oxygen into your air intake. This is said to give a more efficient fuel burn. It supposed to increase millage so look into that.

In reality the simplest way to improve fuel consumption for any engine is to increase the compression ratio which improves cycle thermodynamic efficiency. This in conjunction with ensuring each cylinder is running at the optimum condition at each speed/load will significantly improve fuel consumption. This involves having correct fuel quantity and injection timing (if possible) for each cylinder at all times and more importantly running the ignition as close to MBT (maximum brake torque) as possible (especially part load in a road car) . Having a retarded ignition timing is a sure way to waste the fuel energy you have just put into the cylinder by not maximising the work done by the power stroke and just wasting it by creating work at the wrong time in the expansion stroke. Of course there are reasons why you cannot do this, for example knocking at high CET's (charge end temperature) and also optimisation of cam timing can help as well, but otherwise you can significantly improve fuel consumption if you do this.

Last edited: